Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Problems with twin 2002 Evinrude Ficht 250 motors. Port

Customer Question

Problems with twin 2002 Evinrude Ficht 250 motors.
Port motor: Very hard starting from cold. Must spray Jump start ign. fluid into intake manifolds to start. When hot will only start with half open throttle. The filters are clean, and am using injector cleaner in gas. When motor starts it lopes for a while before it runs smooth.
Starbd motor: starts normally. After running for 1/2 hour the Check eng. light and alarm come on. This happens every time I start and run this motor.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

With a fuel injected engine when you open the throttle to start all this is doing is giving the engine extra air, it does not give extra fuel until running and the tps then tells it where the throttle percentage is at and thus you either have too much fuel at that point or some other problem, starting fluid seems to also suggest a lack of fuel or too much air vs fuel, honestly for this problem and for the other engine check engine light you need a scan tool/scan software to diagnose these problems. If the vessel had been sitting with old fuel then the tanks should be drained and filled with new fuel, possible work around of fuel conditioning and or fuel system cleaning. You'd also want to observe fuel pressures during the problems.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.