Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1999 Yamaha Waverunner GP800, it runs great but the

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Yamaha Waverunner GP800, it runs great but the other day it just stopped. I checked my fuel filter and it's completely dry. There is gas in the tank and when I start it the fuel filter doesn't fill with gas. I have no idea what the problem would be.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

As silly as this sounds, I have to ask the question for a very legitimate reason. Have you tried the reserve position or added more gas to the tank?

That would accomplish a couple of things. First, if you have a restriction in the "on" side of the fuel supply, it would tell you everything else between the gas tank and carbs are fine. The problem would be between the cap on the fuel tank and the "ON" pickup inside the tank.

The fuel level for the reserve can be deceiving. It may be much higher than what you would expect. Since it is such a simple test to flip the fuel valve to reserve, give it a shot and see what it does.

If the fuel filter still doesn't fill up, we could have a vacuum problem preventing the fuel pumps from working. If reserve doesn't help, I would like you to pull the spark plugs out and see what they look like. I am interested in the color of the tips of each plug and whether they are wet or dry when they come out.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It actually happened while it was on reserve, I forgot that I switched it over. I tried the on position and nothing still it flows gas but very very slightly. I will check the plugs tomorrow. Is there a time limit in which I have to respond?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

So if it happened on reserve, did you put more gas in the tank and try it again? If you ran it dry, it could take awhile to get fuel to the carbs.

As far as a time limit, I have never heard of one. Whenever you get new information, just re-post to this thread and I will see that and answer you back.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is both spark plugs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

The 2nd image looks like it has an excess of oil on it. The first looks good. Probably worth replacing them at this point however. Just to be sure, that wasn't water on the plug in the 2nd picture was it?

You never did say if you added gas to the tank and tried to restart it.

Also, it would be beneficial to do a compression test at this time too.

RSRBOB