Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 1984 mercury 35hp no fire on either cyl (yes shut down

Customer Question

my 1984 mercury 35hp no fire on either cyl (yes shut down switch is in run)????
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it and see which ignition system you have.

Next, do you have a decent quality digital volt/ohm meter, and do you know how to take resistance measurements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1984 35 hp mercury serial #6491639 yes have digital meter and i am experienced electrician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not have phone service at present
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. Now how would you like to do this. Are you near the engine now and ready to work, and want to go step by step? Or do you want me to give it to you all at once?

Are you familiar with the ignition components on the engine? Those would be the stator, trigger, switchbox, and coils?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in a remote area at present could you send me a wiring diagram and some readings ??
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a diagram for the engine but I can tell you how to troubleshoot it. First, is this engine a tiller. Or does it have a remote key switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at this point I don't think we can get together I would like for you to cancel my account and credit my credit card account
thanks
wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does have a remote key switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a good land line could you please call me on xxx-xxx-xxxx?????, I can be there in 1 hour