Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2002 150 hp merc out board. parcked it last week

Customer Question

I have a 2002 150 hp merc out board. parcked it last week running like a champ. today no fire to the plugs.fuses are good but no power going to the coils from the wire harness.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number. Can I get that number so I can run it and see exactly what you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey Jason I'm Mark the SN is OT512856 model 150xl swb
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mark, got it.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter and do you know how to take resistance measurements? Also, are you near the engine now and ready to work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't have an ohm meter im thinking its the brain or the crank shaft sensor
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Without a meter you can't pinpoint the issue. But you can still narrow it down with a quick test. If you are capable, what you would want to do is remove the motor cover and disconnect the extension harness from the engine harness. This is a big round plug. After that, go over to the starter solenoid and jump 12V to the yellow with a red stripe wire. This will activate the solenoid and crank the engine over. If spark returns, then either the key switch or emergency stop switch is bad. Also, make sure the stop switch clip is in place. If there is no spark the problem is on the engine, and the most likely suspect is a bad stator. Does that all make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

14 Nov 2015, 12:08 PM

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed no rating has been put through yet. So I was checking in and seeing if you had any further questions on the issue. Please keep in mind the website charges you either way, they just don't credit me unless a rating is put through. If there was anything else feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jason