Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2003 volvo penta sx-m is the motor type, 5.7 gm

Customer Question

i have a 2003 volvo penta sx-m is the motor type, 5.7 gm 350, i have no spark, i have new batteries,new key switch, new kill switch, new starter, new pickup module in distributor cap, new rotorary cap, new distributor cap, new coil, new ignition module,new plug wires, new plugs, new battery cables,, 12 volts everywhere, still no spark
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
call if you can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried everything,still no spark
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Lets start by getting the model number on the engine. I will need that to look and see which ignition system you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
type-sx-m
prod no(###) ###-####ser(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my name is James
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
regal 2400 lsr 2003
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi James. SX-M is the sterndrive model number. I need the model number on the engine. It wills start with either a Gi, GL, GSI, or GXI, and have more numbers or letters after that. If you don't have or don't know the engine model number. Shoot me a picture of your distributor cap and ignition coil, I will be able to tell which ignition system you have that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pancake style distributor cap
coil and ignition module on a bracket together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have pics, how do i send them to you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You should see a button that says add files. Click on that and select the picture file to upload them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
red engine, where can i find the engine code you need, i gave you the numbers off the volvo penta tag on the engine
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The engine model number is ***** a sticker on it. Its usually on a plastic shroud on top of the engine. But again that depends on the model you actually have. Are you able to see the "add file" button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sending them now
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay i'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wont send says file is to large
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm.... Can you find something online that matches what you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sent you pics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did that help
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it.....

For the most part this system needs a scan tool to troubleshoot. I don't suppose you have one handy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have one for a car, does a boat have the same hook up
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No it's different. A scan tool for marine engines is required. The only thing we can do here is have you crank the engine over and see if the rotor is actually spinning just to make sure it's not a bad distro gear. After that a scan tool is required to troubleshoot the issue. I don't think this is something I can help you with here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rotor is spinning,already checked that
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. This isn't something I can help you with here, you would have to take it in. Good luck!