Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

New 70 ho Yamaha outboard. Ran into shallow and engine cut

Customer Question

New 70 ho Yamaha outboard. Ran into shallow and engine cut out when prop dug into sand. Is that normal. Seemed to run fine after that.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Since it was sand you probably didn't hurt anything. The hub inside the propeller is designed to help protect the lower unit. I would keep an eye on the water indicator, you don't want any blockage from sand or mud.

It is common and normal to stall an engine running aground. As long as the engine starts, develops full rpm, you are probably fine.

If you do run into any problems, particularly with the lower unit, post back and let me know. But for now don't worry about it.

You may want to pick up a depth finder though!

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going from a jon boat to a deep v hull. Never had one before. I need to recalibrate my feel for the boat. I tried to run up on a beach because I was used to doing that on the Jon. I had the motor tilted up quite a bit but still ran aground. Pissed at myself. I know sometimes I'll miss that old jon boat but it was windy today and the deep v is a winner for sure. Seems like a great motor also.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Actually a very good motor, I like the 90/115. Follow the owners manual and use ring free in your fuel. Try to use non ethanol fuel if possible. Use what Yamaha recommends not what someone on a message board on the Internet. Even the best of us go aground at times. Good luck with your new boat. Please don't forget to rate my service.

Thanks