Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

What is the procedure to drain freshwater tank

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I run the water pump till all the water is out of the tank or go to the water tank and disconnect the bottom water line going to the pump.

The easiest way is to just let the pump pump all the water out. Most times access to the water tank is difficult.

If you are draining the tank for winter storage what you can also do is pump tank down as low as it will go and then add anti freeze. The anti freeze is more for the line than the tank. In case of freeze.

Once tank is down as low as it will go add the antifreeze and turn pump on till you get pink out the faucet.

Here is a link to the anti freeze for potable water systems. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit---50-f-marine-rv-water-system-antifreeze-1-gallon--14823330?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-14823330&adpos=1o8&creative=54601690324&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAgvyxBRDmuviAj67g-XQSJABTLMcHZwpJ4148ifOPQXLbnHpcD14bjnxlKK3apf6UI0KxJhoC5oTw_wcB

Even if you were to drain the tank at the tank you still need to add the anti freeze if you are in a climate where you have to worry about freezing.

Now if you need to drain the tank for other reasons please post back with what it is you are trying to do.

Thank you...........Tan

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you.

Thank you......Tan