Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Why was my alternator on my 1992 glastron ski boat smoking

Customer Question

why was my alternator on my 1992 glastron ski boat smoking when the battery was connected?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

2 things will cause the alternator to smoke battery connected backwards or the alternator is shorted internally. The fix is be sure the cables are connected correctly. Then since the alternator smoked it will have to be replaced with a new alternator.

Alternators can fail for no particular reason. Usually lack of use cause the alt to corrode internally causing allot of resistance in the electronics of the alternator and failure.

Do you need a part number for the alternator? If yes I need the make model and serial number of your engine please?

Thank you.........Tan