Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Im looking at a 6yr old question, the title is 2001 Mercury

Customer Question

Im looking at a 6yr old question, the title is 2001 Mercury 4 stroke 60hp starts............. Was there a conclusion to this. I have same motor with almost identical problem
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2001 Mercury 60 Hp 4 stroke. starts easy, idles fine, when you accelerate it bogs down. You can get it to full throttle but only to 4400 RPMs. I have external fuel tank with new gas. I have new lines with new bulb. I have new fuel filter, i have opened fuel pump and it looks fine and it pumps gas. I have cleaned carbs 2 times by taking them off the motor. First time with carb cleaner and forced air. 2nd time with ultrasonic cleaner. I replaced all 4 low end jets and idle mixture screw, spring and o ring. I replaced spark plugs after both cleanings. I looked inside carbs with flashlight while accelerating. It just dribbles fuel at mid range, it was not spraying, not even a mist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the cam timing is off could that affect mid range and full throttle?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Do you have a link to that old question? I will look it up.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/boat/24flx-2001-mercury-stroke-60hp-starts-great-run-idle.html
0T295165P
The camshaft timing is right on.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

The result of the other question was to sync the carbs. Did you do that after either cleaning. Is should be done to make sure that all 4 cylinders are drawing the same vacuum at idle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both times and did it again to make sure
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Do you know the compression on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. But I can check later this evening. It idles fine and it will go thru mid range if you go slow, but if you accelerate really fast it wants to die.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Great, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got home after dark. I will check tomorrow. Would it idle this smooth if the compression was bad on one of the cylinders.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Yes it could. At idle, the engine is not making any power, just spinning over. I have seen others that have a bad cylinder, and idle just fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 95 #2 107 #3 104 #4 112
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took all the plugs out, started at #1 turned the key over, then moved on to #2, then #3 and #4. I did this with engine cold.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Was your throttle open or closed when you did this? It needs to be open. As ir is currently, they are all very low.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 is 181, #2 is 180, #3 is 181, #4 is 183
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

That is much better.

Do you have access to a multimeter and know how to test resistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

On the left side of the block you will see the temp sender. It is just above the dip stick. Unplug it, test the resistance between the two leads that are going from it. Let me know what you get, so that I can match it to the chart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's open.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

That is on the sensor and not the harness, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the sender is bad. This is why the engine is not running correctly. The ECU thinks that the engine is cold, do it adjusts the timing. Replacing the sender is the only repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the part #.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What chart are you going by. I did ohms test on new one and it's open as well. I found chart in service manual but it's taking reading when the engine is running. B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, after looking at the chart i needed to be on the 200k range, it reads 17.5k and its 53 degrees here so its right on.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The new one or the old one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Old one
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Alright,

What did you use to sync the carbs after the last rebuild?

Could you take a video pf the engine running and past it here? Hearing the engine when the issue happens may help me get to the bottom of this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 vacuum gauges.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

How about a video?

Did you get all 4 cylinders to read the same? The bottom cylinder is the control and the other 3 need to match it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I matched up top 3 carbs with # ***** I will get u video
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. It really does help to hear the engine sometimes..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been raining here. I will get video today or tomorrow if it stops.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

No worries. No time limits here.