Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My 1978 20 hp started to slip and rev up while under load.

Customer Question

my 1978 20 hp johnson started to slip and rev up while under load. made it home on strong idle. what would i look for?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I would check the hub of the prop see if you have a spun hub. Remove the prop and check the back side of the prop you will see slivers of rubber peeling from the hub. The other thing you can do is put the engine in gear pull the spark plug wires off then try to spinb the prop while the flywheel is locked in position. If electric start you can stick a screw drive between the starter gear and flywheel to keep engine from turning.

You have one of 2 things the spline in the crank shaft is stripped from age and rust or the hub in the prop is bad.

Now I don't have a listing for a 20 hp in 1978 so could I get the engine model number?

Post back with findings.