Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1994 25 hp pull start evinrude, need starter fluid

Customer Question

I have a 1994 25 hp pull start evinrude, need starter fluid to cold start, runs great after warmed up, and will start easy without the starter fluid. I rebuilt the carb and the fuel pumpbut it still won't cold start without the starter fluid. Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like your primer isn't working. The primer has to have fuel in it to work. Lets try this. Using the primer bulb fill the carb as normal. Pull the hose from the primer to the intake, back of the carb off. Now while holding the hose from the primer in a small jar pull the primer out and then push it in and see if you get a steady stream of fuel.

Also make sure the primer goes in all the way after pulling it. There is a small metal rings that gets hung up at times. This can flood the engine causing hard starting.

You may have blockage in the line or the O rings on the plunger in the primer may be bad.

You shouldn't have to use starter fluid the primer should do the job.

Post back what you find,