Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1994 Chaparral 1830 SST with a mercruiser MCM 4.3

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Chaparral 1830 SST with a mercruiser MCM 4.3 Litre LX V6 engine. It's equipped with a Commander 3000 series panel mounted remote control w lanyard kill switch. I picked the boat up from a shop after having the heads rebuilt to address a low compression issue.
The boat was started and ran twice for short periods (seconds) before making my 3 hr haul home. Next morning the boat would not run in my driveway with water muffs on in preparation for a lake test trip. Will fire and start but acts like as soon as I release key from "start" to "on" position it kills. If I hold key in "start" position it wants to run but obviously that ain't good.
Help? I can tell you the kill switch is is the "run" position, the instruments activate when the key is turned on, the battery has a good charge on it, and I have a 12 volt test light but limited knowledge how to use it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have some scrap wire you can make some jumpers with? If yes, are you near the boat now an ready to work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jason, this is Karl. I'm wired (14 gauge) and on board...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Karl,

What you want to do Is pull the key switch out. Jump red (or red/purple) over to purple. And attempt to start the engine. Let me know if it stays running or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it. Will not stay running.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Does the boat have an emergency stop switch on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to pull that out and jump that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not unless i take the throttle/gear shift assembly off the side panel. Looks like there are 6 mounting bolts holding it in place. I can see where the wire from the ignition switch runs up behind the toggle kill switch but can't see what's behind it without attempting to remove. Should I do it? Is it hard to get back in place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hang on - I can get to the two wires leading to the back of that toggle kill switch. Doesn't appear to be any conductors I can see or feel but can get to the wires going in there.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Run a Jumper from battery positive (the post) to ignition coil positive (purple wire) and try to start it. Will it stay running that way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. You know what's going to make this a whole lot easier? Alligator clips. Let me round up a couple and get back to u tomorrow with a report. Also found a couple splices in those wires coming from the back of the kill switch that I might be able to short by jamming a paper clip in them. Thanks for the help so far.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I jump from battery post to purple wire on coil it will stay running. Noticed as soon as I made jump, fuel pump started running. Then boat would not shut off w key - killed by removing jumper.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Karl, Got it. You have a bad connection some place between that emergency stop switch and the ignition coil. The most likely think would be a break in the wire in the main harness. Because we know you have power to the emergency stop switch, the easiest thing to do would be to simply add a new wire, and run a new wire from that switch over to the ignition coil. That's the easiest way to get you fixed up. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kind of. I guess I missed the part where we figured out we have power to the emergency stop switch. How do we know that? I need to look at the wiring a little closer and will do so later this afternoon or evening. Not sure I'm clear about which wire to duplicate. My recollection is there were 2 wires leading from the area behind the ignition switch to the emergency stop switch - one coming from the ignition switch itself and the other I traced back as far as the low oil pressure alarm mounted up behind the instrument panel. And I couldn't easily access where the wires actually connect to the kill switch - it's like the switch is sealed or filled w plastic or something. Going to get a little mirror so I can actually see up in there. I need to find where the wire we're talking about runs back to the coil. Thinking I might be able to chase it frontwards from the coil towards the bow. Will let u know what I run into.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I guess I missed the part where we figured out we have power to the emergency stop switch. How do we know that?

Did you ever jump the emergency stop switch? You said you were going to, but did you actually ever do it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Never did. To get to it it looked like I would need remove the entire throttle/transmission control assembly from the side panel next to the driver's seat. I mentioned it looked like there were 6 bolts holding it in place and asked if I should dare to take 'em out but then we just moved on to jumping from battery to coil.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

what you are going to want to do is go and jump that emergency stop switch and try again. If it works with the jumper in place, that emergency stop switch is bad. If no change, then it's still a bad wire between the key switch and engine. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I'll try it. I'm thinking there's got to be a way to just pop that switch out without taking the whole thing apart. I'll work on it and let u know.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

SOunds good. Let me know how you make out.

-Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed no rating has been put through yet. So I was checking in and seeing if you had any further questions on the issue. Please keep in mind the website charges you either way, they just don't credit me unless a rating is put through. If there was anything else feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jason