Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Last time out, my 2012 mercury 115 4 stroke efi, started

Customer Question

Last time out, my 2012 mercury 115 4 stroke efi, started running rough on the way back. It usually is quick out of the hole, but it took time to get on a plane. I could feel it missing off and on, but then ran good most of the way in. I only run non ethanol fuel and the motor has 15 hours on it since the 100 hour service. Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

If it's missing off and on, and the misfiring is incosistant. That's a tell tale sign there is water in the fuel. What I would do if you brought this to me is run the engine off of a portable fuel tank filled with brand new gas to confirm it. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just happened the last time I took it out. The tank is built in. If there is a little water in the fuel, is there a remedy like an additive other than draining the entire 35 gal tank?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Well.... Nothing additive wise. Does the boat have a fuel water separating filter installed on it, these are large canister type filters that look like automotive oil filters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is George
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, did you see my last comment about the filter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it does, it must be in the bilge somewhere, because I haven't seen it. I know there are 2 fuel filters on the engine itself, a low pressure one and a high pressure one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've owned the boat 6 months.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The engine mounted filters don't catch much water. If you do have a fuel/water filter on the boat you would want to find it, unscrew it, and dump its contents into a glass jar, and let it settle for a few hours to see what the fuel looks like.

If there isn't a filter, then you would want to add one. And then go and use the boat. And then check the filters contents after each outing. What you see in the filter is basically what the engine is getting for gas. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any further questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably, but I can't think of them now.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed no rating has been put through yet. So I was checking in and seeing if you had any further questions on the issue. Please keep in mind the website charges you either way, they just don't credit me unless a rating is put through. If there was anything else feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jason