Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

1996 20 hp outboard--noticed gear oil (about 1 teaspoon)

Customer Question

1996 Johnson 20 hp outboard--noticed gear oil (about 1 teaspoon) coming from prop area. Oil was clean (no water mix) when I lifted motor from boat to Garage for winter. Did not see this all summer while trailered. I change the gear oil every spring. Pulled prop and nut and it looks like oil leak from around inside of the housing????
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you checked the gear lube level ? Are you sure it is gear lube? Does the engine run ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gear oil is the only oil as 2 cycle oil is mixed with gas. Engine runs great.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Yes I know that but if the engine misfire the unburned fuel will wash down the exhaust housing and will look like black dirty oil.

Since the engine runs good that leaves the gearcase bearing carrier o-ring leaking. The lower unit will have to be disassembled and resealed. If one seal is starting to leak I always just go ahead a reseal the complete lower unit.

I have done just the seal that is leaking before to save the customer some money and they are back with in a week with another seal failing so just reseal the complete lower unit and you will be ahead of the game.

Does this make sense?

I have been working on all kinds of Marine engines for over 40 years so I do have experience.

Post back if you have further questions.

If you need a link to the lower unit for parts please post the engine model number.

Thank you.......Tan