Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2004 150 Yamaha outboard, I have replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 150 Yamaha outboard, I have replaced the thermostats and water pump and seem to get decent water flow when testing with clamshells on land or at idle in water, but I continue to get a temperature alarm. No alarm when underway at trolling speed and faster. What is the next thing to check?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

There are 2 things to check.

1. Check to make sure you are actually running hot. Run the engine with the cover off. Duplicate the alarm. And as soon as you get the alarm shut the engine off and take the temps of the cylinder head. On average surface temps will run about 160 to 170F. 190F or higher is actually overheating. If your not actually hot, the temp sensor is bad, and activating prematurely.

2. If it is overheating. Check for a head gasket leak next. For this, pull the plugs and see if any of them come out with white inner insulators. They would look almost like a new plug. If you do get a white plug, that is a definite head gasket issue. But, if the plugs look more or less average, the next step would be to do a compression test on the engine.

Do you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed no rating has been put through yet. So I was checking in and seeing if you had any further questions on the issue. Please keep in mind the website charges you either way, they just don't credit me unless a rating is put through. If there was anything else feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jason