Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

87 omc 1.8 l outboard wont idle just stays at gh rpm if i

Customer Question

87 omc 1.8 l outboard wont idle just stays at high rpm if i pump the primer it will come down to about 3000 rpm and go back uo stays at about 7000 rpms
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

You have a fuel starvation issue and possible linkage problem.

Could I get the engine model number please?

Have you disconnected the throttle cable from the engine to be sure the throttle linkage is coming back to idle?

Squeezing the primer bulb is giving the engine more fuel so we need to determine why the engine is starving for fuel. Can you get an auxiliary fuel tank and try running the engine on that tank.? This will eliminate the boat side fuel system as a possible cause for the fuel starvation issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The linkage is good i closed it all the way it can go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can fuel starvation cause high rpm
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Can you get an auxiliary fuel tank and try running the engine on that tank.? This will eliminate the boat side fuel system as a possible cause for the fuel starvation issue.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not home right now but when i get home ill send you the engine num and try the aux tank
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok great let me know what you find. We need to check that the timer base under the flywheel is moving freely. The timer base advances the timing which can cause high idle also. The timer base is connected to the throttle linkage.

Post back with findings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks talk later.