Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have about a 1977 6hp merc motor shaft, when you pull the

Customer Question

i have about a 1977 6hp merc motor long shaft , when you pull the rope out it only catches like every 4th or 5th pull needs a new part but have no idea what the part would be, or the number ? thank you Steve
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Steve. My name is Tan.

Most of the time you can just pull the assembly off and clean the parts and it will start working. The parts get corroded and will start to stick and cleaning helps most of the time.

Now if you pull the assembly apart and find parts that are broken or worn they will have to be replaced.

For me to know what parts I will need the engine serial number to look up the correct engine.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok Steve here is what I found. The components that stick are # ***** and 20 if they get gunked up they will not move freely causing what you issue is. The other thing that causes an issue is the spring if it is broken the cam # ***** won't catch every time. Now of course if anything is broken it will cause the same issue.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/6/0a197112-thru-0d280999-usa/manual-starter-design-ii

If your components look different I will need the serial number please. So let me know otherwise thank you................Tan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ser no.(###) ###-####
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Does this look like you engine cover? # ***** are the areas that get dirty and prevent the starter from engaging.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/60/1916139-thru-2529894/top-cowl-and-starter-assembly