Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

We own a 1991 21'8" Guardian Whaler former coast guard boat.

Customer Question

We own a 1991 21'8" Guardian Whaler former coast guard boat. Our recovery organization would like to swap out the old Yamaha 200 with a more powerful unit and stay with Yamaha since the controls work fine. Any ideas on where a Federal 501c3 Recovery Organization can get the best prices? Brunswick Commercial says the transom can take whatever we bolt on it. Rebuilts are fine as long as there is a warranty. We'd like a 5 liter. Thanks! Mark from www.hiredivers.org
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are located in Bolton Landing on Lake George New York about an hour north of Albany. Our website is www.hiredivers.com.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Main site is at www.hiredivers.org
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

The best options are usually local ones, you may be able to reach out to local marina's a score a great unit at a great discount. Otherwise other than a dealer you may wish to check ebay if sourcing rebuilt units, there are some great sellers that are businesses and offer good warranties to back what they sell. Possibly bolting a new/newer Yamaha 350 which is a 5.3l engine. New you can find them around $30k ish, used some can be had under $15k. One thing is for sure is that is a lot of engine for a 22' footer.

You'd want to check that not only if the transom/boat can handle the power and torque but also the weight and still sit well in the water, you'd also want to be sure in testing phase that the hull does not walk across the water and can handle that sort of power. I have seen some boats that are just plain scary with too much power behind them.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.