Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1995 Suzuki dt 25 and I was changing the impeller.

Customer Question

Hi Charles, I have a 1995 Suzuki dt 25 and I was changing the impeller. I couldn't break the nut where the shift rod connects to the lower unit. I turned too hard and the rod came out. Is there any way the bet the rod attached back to the linkage without having to remove the power head. The rod has a 90 degree hook on top which looks like it slides into a bushing or something. Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for requesting me today.

Did the rod come out of the shift mechanism on top or from the lower unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came out of the top. It has one of those reverse thread nuts and the nut was frozen. I turned it too hard the rod came out of the top. The rod is threaded on the bottom, has a little offset to it and has a 90 degree hook on the top about a half inch long. The hook must slip into the linkage on top. Probably into a rubber grommet since it is smooth and has no threads.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

That arm actually goes into part 21 in the diagram. Use a good flashlight and look to see if you can see part 32 to see if the retaining arm is broken off it. If so, you may actually be able to just remove the shift handle, make the repair then reinstall it and while putting it in, insert the upper shift rod. You may be able to see things better with the carb off.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Suzuki/Outboard/1995/DT25C/CLUTCH/parts.html

If you need me to look at something, please post a pic of it here.

Thanks

Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. That looks like the rod. I'll see if I can get at it and let you know tomorrow.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I will be here.