Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I just got a 1969 evinrude 115 with electric shift. The

Customer Question

I just got a 1969 evinrude 115 with electric shift. The engine was stuck on forward. Diagnosed the switch and its good. Checked the wires and they were good. I ended pulling the lowere unit and the wires were bad. I checked the solenoids and they appear to be working correctly but when the lowere unit is grounded and the solenoids are activated, it doesn't make a difference on the gear. Do you have any suggestions. The battery is good and does start the engine. Thanks.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you with this.

With the gear case removed, use a multimeter and check for power between the solenoid wires and the driveshaft housing. if you find that you do have power there, you have a bare wire someplace in the housing that is providing it. This could also be the switch in the control box, that may be moving, but is actually stuck internally. to test the switch, the control box would need to be opened and the switch tested with a multimeter with all the wires off it. Use a resistance scale for this test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That has been done. There was an open on both wires. Even with the solenoids and plungers removed, the gear is stuck in forward. When solenoids are activated it stays in forward.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

How does your gear oil look. If you changed it recently, how did it look when it came out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil looked a bit burned. Smelled kind of like a rear end on a pick up. No water mix though. I also noticed that now that the lower unit is off, the shaft or the prop no longer turns. Just the normal opposit with the clicking sound.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Can you remove the water pump and try to turn the shaft then. Sometimes the impeller will stick inside the housing causing you to not be able to turn it by hand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will do that in the morning. But even then, the gear does not shift off forward. Do you know or have any pics or diagrams on the selector rod? Want to know if the rod is suppose to link with something in the gear or is it normal to just slide up and off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
part 33 does not link to anything. I don't understand how that works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is there and properly installed. What i dont understand is what it is supposed to move to select a gear.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it just push down on something and of so is there a spring to return it back?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

As it moves up and down it moved the levers 21 and 22. This will select N or R. When you had the shift assy out, id you bench test the solenoids with 12V to see it they would move the rod correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean on the gears. I understand how the solenoids work but i don't understand the system it uses to select a gear.when reverse is engaged, both solenoids activate pushing the rod down. When it is in neutral, only one activates. When it is in forward, none activate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do parts 21 and 22 work with springs? I belive those may be the issues. And I'm not too confident on working on the gears. I've worked on automobile axles before but ive never disassembled a marine one.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The spring is located inside the prop shaft. This is what will push the plunger back out to the default position. A detent will hold it in place from there. part 71 is the spring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I remove part 28 after the screws are removed. I cant pull it with a puller. It doesn't have threated holes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled it out. The ball valves seem to be missing part 25. The valve seat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Where could they have gone? Have you had the lower unit opened at some other time?