Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2008 merc pro kicker w/electric start and power

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2008 merc pro kicker w/electric start and power tilt. I just had it service by an authorized dealer prior to putting in the water. Been using it for trolling. The other day after trolling for several hours, I attempted to accelerate and the motor stuttered and the red light came on. The motor seemed to bog down and not want to increase rpms. I turned it off and restarted and it worked correctly. This has continued to occur since the first incident. I turn off the motor and restart it and it works fine for a period of time before occurring again. I noticed that the water stream was not as strong as a month ago when I first started using it for trolling. The impeller was replaced just prior to use. There's a lot of weedy grass up here in Oregon and I've had to remove a lot of it from around the prop area as it was interfering with the efficiency of the motor. The powerhead was replaced recently. Any idea what the problem is? Rocky Balada, Beaverton, Oregon.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ricky, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Engines do not like to troll for long periods of time. They load up with fuel and can get themselves into a semi-flooding condition. Before you take off under power, that flood needs to be cleared first. That being said, before accelerating, have you tried running it in neutral and bringing the rpms up to 2000 or so for 15 seconds prior to accelerating under power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This motor is built for trolling for hours here in the northwest. This is not a fuel issue. This motor has been used extensively for trolling without issues. The stream of water is not as strong as it has been. The powerhead, thermostat and impeller was recently replaced. I've been using the motor daily for the last 5 week for at least 6 hours. This problem just started and goes away temporarily when I turn off the motor and restart it.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rocky, my name is***** will assist you with this.

I have a few questions for you, why was the powerhead replaced? When was that?

Can I get the serial number of the engine?

Did you feel the motor to see it was hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
serial # *****
Power head was replaced due to being cracked in 3 locations. Repair was done by extended warranty in April 2014 but was not used until sept. The engine did not appear to be excessively hot.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

When you stop the motor, do you see any grass be released from the water pick-ups?

Does this issue happen when you need to stop the motor and clear the prop?