Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1991 25hp merc, wi not go into reverse....I was

Customer Question

I have a 1991 25hp merc, wi not go into reverse....I was trying to dock it in a hard cross wind and went to rev and it just reved up wo rev. It had been not going al the way in pryer to that wo going a tad past the rev detent...
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Could you please post the serial number of the engine?

A pic of that plastic level would tell me where it belongs, that may be the fastest way to correct your shifting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Don't know where the serial # ***** ever is black and goes over the shift and throtel cables
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't want to pay extra $16
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

You can post the pics here. It is part of the question.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serial number is ***** I am not good at computer stuff and I do not have a smart phone..
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Got it thanks.

Is yours electric start tiller or remote throttle, and qhere is the shift, in the handle or on the side? I will send a diagram and we can try to id that rod.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the pic of the lever
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

How is the engine steered and where is the shift control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is electric start and the forward and reverse throtle...it Looks like it tries to shift but no reverse...the little lever is black plastic and is over the fwd and rev cables.....I did not understand even the purpose of that lever....steered from a steering wheel with shift control on the right of drivers seat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife tried to send a photo of that pastic lever....it might be hard to see since engine and lever is black
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
part#27
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that is the lock for the cables. it should have a piece that stick from the bottom if it that would lock into the mount. Is it all there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but looks loose at it's shaft where it goes into it's mount....but I am not sure that is why it will not go in rev
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

I doubt it, it the barrel of the cable is still firmly in the mount, it is ok. jCan you have a helper shift into rev, while you turn the prop by hand and watch the shift components? Engine off of course.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup The barrel of the cables seem firm with or without that black plastic Cover (lever) in forward the prop is tight one wat trying to turn the engine.....in reverse the prop freewheels either way......
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do you see the linkage move on the engine when going into rev?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do you know how to check the gear oil. I need to know if there any any metal or water in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do will be a little bit... drained it....did not see any metal....or water....
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Of, you are going to need to drop the lower unit to see if you can make it shift by hand. This will let us know where to focus our attention.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you send a breakdown diagram.....
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Sure of what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of the lower end...it looks like 4 bolts about 1/2 or 13 mm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removed starter and cip and tried to shift with rod that goes down to ower end and no reverse bypushing the rod down manually
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

could you feel it click when it went down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about a shop manual for this motor....would that help me step by step......no click going down and no reverse
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The service manual is over $50 for this engine. I may be able to locate a free version online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool....maybe I can download it and print it???? Starting to get dark here in Des Moines....gonna have to bag it for now....Thinking the problem is down below????
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Yes I think something in the shift has broken, it could be something simply or not. Thing is that you would need a special tool to open the case and find out. Here is the manual.

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manuals/20jet-20-25.html#/0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks......will get back with you.....God Bless
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.