Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Have Zodiac Zoom with inflatable black bottom. The black is

Customer Question

Have Zodiac Zoom with inflatable black bottom. The black is NOT colour-fast and is running down on hands and deck... Is there anything I can do to stop this ? Any kind of treatment ?
Thank you in advance,
Kind Regards
Arnold bos
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Streaking/color running is a condition of the actual paint/pigment and if running this indicates a problem with it itself, this means that to resolve the problem would require a protective coating over the existing, however with it already chalking this means you usually first have to sand the surface and restore color by either gelcoat or paint then a clear in some cases however in this instance you are dealing with an inflatable which is a pigmented fabric material and requires a different approach as you may be aware already.

There are cleaning products such as : http://www.polymarine.com/advice/inflatable-boat-cleaning-finishing-guide/

But know if it is painted then the problem is chalking of the paint which would require repainting, you also have the option if not painted to also paint them.

What you are experiencing is usually due to a lack of proper maintenance and or age of the material esp in direct sunlight and heat esp extreme heat.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.