Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I've just bought a Glastron GTS 187. I'm now trying to

Customer Question

I've just bought a Glastron GTS 187. I'm now trying to insure it but my usual insurance company are confused by the term 'jetboat' and want to charge astronomical premiums. How can I best describe the boat to an insurance company without them thinking I am a boy racer on the water?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The GTS 187 Is a "jetboat", and has a "jetdrive" as means of propulsion. What kind of confusion is your insurance company giving you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The insurance company seem to think that because it is a 'jetboat' it is more vulnerable than other boats to damage and so want to charge an exhorbident premium. I would like help to describe the boat so it does not sound like a vehicle for boy racing on water - as that is not our intent.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm... Not sure I can help you with this. Jetboats are more vunerable than other boats to damage, your insurance company is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Runabout? Bowrider? any other terms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

In technical terms it is a bowrider. But it still uses jet power/jet drive/jet boat as propulsion.

It really has nothing to do with being a boy racer. Has your insurance company explained to you why they charge more for these style boats?