Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1985 Bayliner Capri with a 4 cylinder Volvo Penta

Customer Question

Hello I have a 1985 Bayliner Capri with a 4 cylinder Volvo Penta I/O AQ125 A. Last night it just died out on the water. Had only been running about 20 minutes in the freshwater. It would crank but wouldn't idol. I can get it going giving it throttle in neutral but the rpm's are high and I have the throttle open wide. Can't back it off into idol. I just bought it and it hadn't been run out in the water for a while. He had run it every couple months in his yard but that was it. I'm cleaning the carburetor now and siphoning out the fuel to pull out any water/sediment I just need to know if there is anything else I should look into. Thanks, Melissa
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Melissa. My name is Tan.

Look down the carburetor when the engine quits do you see fuel dribbling in the carb. This is one of 2 things the carburetor is flooding or it is clogged in the idle circuit of the carb. Is the engine producing allot of smoke when you try to get it to idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the carburetor completely off right now but it was producing quite a bit of smoke this morning why i tried to get it going.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok I would say the carburetor is flooding this will keep it from idling correctly. The smoke indicates to much fuel. I would clean the carb real well replace the inlet needle and seat. When you pull the carb apart look for debris in the bottom of the float bowl. Post back with findings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. Chances are form the engine sitting unused the fuel has aged and is clogging the carb up. Then when fresher fuel gets in the dirty carb it starts to dissolve the old fuel which will get in the inlet needle causing it to stick open and causing the flooding condition.

All you symptoms are carb related. So cleaning the carb and replacing the inlet needle should resolve any issue you have.

You can always post back with follow up questions even after rating at no extra charge on this subject.

Please don't forget to positively rate for my help with your boat engine issue.

Thank you.......Tan

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

If you don't have a water separator fuel filter on the engine or before the engine I suggest adding one.

If the fuel in the tank has any contamination you want to catch all you can before it goes into the engines fuel system.

Post back with questions and findings.

Thank you.............Tan