Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Our new captain mixed diesel into the fuel tank of our new

Customer Question

Hi Jason
Our new captain mixed diesel into the fuel tank of our new Suzuki DF115a 4 stroke last week.
The motor ran for 300m then died.
We towed it back then realized the problem and proceeded to flush all the tank, lines and removed and cleaned injectors and replaced the spark plugs.
Now the motor runs only on two cylinders.
There was no alarm and there are no flashing indicators.
It appears to be an electronic problem as there is no spark to two cylinders --- counting top down cylinders 2 and 3 have no spark.
There is power to the injectors.
Any ideas HUGEly appreciated.
Bill Gee
Mozambique
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is 300 meters or yards not minutes.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill, my name is***** the engine have a Suzuki tachometer hooked up to it? If yes, is the check engine light on that tachometer flashing any codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No tach, but a controller.
As I said in my first mail, no flashing lamp codes or beep alarms.
B-)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Without a tach to flash a code you are going to have to take this in and get it hooked up to a diagnostic laptop. This won't be anything I can help you with here. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason
Please understand my predicament:
I am on an island off the coast of northern Mozambique hundreds of miles from the nearest diagnostic laptop and have a charter group flying in in 4 hours.
Please think --- are there any events that would cause the motor;'s brain to restrict spark to those two cylinders?
If yes, what are the reset codes or what do you suggest we check?
We have cleaned the tank, filters, pump, injectors and all is working after the diesel entered, except no spark on two cylinders...
Our 'bush mechanic' has kept our three non-electronic Yamahas running purrfectly for years, but this one has him stumped.
I'd really appreciate a bit of creative thought here...HUGE thanks
Bill