Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have 1972 9.5 HP Outboard. I have a problem with the

Customer Question

I have 1972 Johnson 9.5 HP Johnson Outboard. I have a problem with the engine stalling out at high speed. It starts and runs fine at low speed but will run at top speed a few seconds and stall. It restarts easily I have installed: new jets and float in carb, a new fuel line, new fuel pump, new ignition coils and cecked the fuel system for vacuum leaks on suction side of the pump.
The fuel line is 10' long.
Where do I look next??
***** *****, Athens, Texas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jerry. My name is Tan.

Have you tried another fuel tank? Try putting the fuel supply line directly into the fuel tank. Pull the end off the hose and stick the hose into the tank where you add fuel.

You have covered everything except the fuel tank.

Post back with questions and findings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan: I disconnecred the fuel line from the bottom of the dip tube in the tank, to the suction sde of the fuel pump,. I applied a vacuum and the system held vacuum, so a leak in that system is not the problem. I am continuing checking inside the carb.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

That isn't the test we were doing we are eliminating the fuel tank pick up in the fuel tank as the problem. You have already eliminated the fuel system on the engine. You had already eliminated the fuel line by replacing it.

If you can't do the test I posted then try a different fuel tank. Also be sure the vent is open on the fuel tank.