Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 175 hp Mecury outboard and when I ran it last

Customer Question

I have a 175 hp Mecury outboard and when I ran it last Sunday there was a constant beep after the engine was started. The engine was running fine, water through the P-hole and blue smoke after engine start is normal. I did add oil to the reservoir because it was low but the beeping continued. Do I have a faulty oil float or could there be other issues? again the engine ran fine.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Is it a beeping or a long solid tone?

Do you know where the oil pump is? Lower port side of the motor, silver with some hoses going to it. Look just behind it a tell me if there is a small dime size sender with a couple wires going to it.

The engine serial number would help as well.

Post back here.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a beeping and the boat is at my marina in a slip. The oil was low in the reservoir. The model is a 1987 V175.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the key to ON does it start beeping immediately? With the engine not running?

If so you either have a faulty float switch in the oil tank or you may have a bad oil module.

The engine tank should not be low. Check the remote tank's cap is tight. Check the hose from the crankcase to the remote tank. It can have no leaks. The remote tank also can not leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have to go out of town this weekend and wont be able to get to the boat until next week. The beeping does sound after I turn the Key on but only momentarily. Then when I start the engine it starts beeping continuously. I need to fill the remote tank completely. I had enough oil to fill it about half way. I use this boat every weekend and it started this last weekend after sitting a week in the slip. I will check all the items you suggested.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Chances are it is the float in the engine tank or the pump sensor. Some of the engines have a sensor next to the oil pump that checks for rotation of the pump. The sensor rarely goes bad. What does happen is the gear in the engine strips and the oil pump doesn't pump.

Try this. Carefully remove the oil pump, just a couple small machine screws. Lift it up, don't disconnect any hoses. You will see the top of the driven gear, it will have a slot in it. Put your finger lightly on the gear. Have a helper briefly turn the engine over with the key. See if the gear rotates. If not do not run the engine you have a drive gear failure.

Post back what you find for this.

When you first turn the key to on it will do a self diagnostic check by beeping, that is normal.

If you suspect the oil pump may have failed do not run the engine, even for a minute!

We can go from there when you are ready.