Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 97 mercury 200 EFI. I just noticed that I am

Customer Question

I have a 97 mercury 200 EFI. I just noticed that I am leaking lower unit gear lube out of a hole located at the top of the lower unit right hand side. Is this normal and if not what do I need to do?
Thank you,
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Wayne. My name is Tan.

When you start leaking oil out that hole the shift shaft seal is leaking. The lower unit needs to be removed and the seal replaced.

I usually replace the whole assembly # ***** it just screws in. Changing the seal itself can be difficult and most of the time will still leak. So save your self some time and aggravation and replace the complete assy. The assy comes with the new seal already installed. If you want to do just the seal that is # *****

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/V-200%20%28EFI%29/0G760300%20THRU%200G960499/GEAR%20HOUSING%28DRIVESHAFT%29%28STANDARD-COUNTER%20%20ROTATION%29/parts.html

I would pressure test the lower unit before reinstalling just to make sure you have no other leaks.

Post back with questions and concerns.