Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I am having issues with my Minn kota Terova 101

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two identical units.
I am a guide on the river so I use them hard.
I heard a loud pop and everything went dead.
I opened it up and could instantly smell the horrible smell.
I ordered a control board.
The other trolling motor was on the bench in the middle of a shaft replacement.
Needing to get up an running I pulled the shaft an armature assembly from the one with the burnt board and put it in the good base. It worked perfectly for about 30 minutes. Then it wouldn't turn right or left but I had full range of thrust.
I tried the remote to eliminate the foot pedal being the issue and no luck.
Now the control board arrives and I replace the board on the one that spins but wont turn.
Same issue. So I swap them back and replace the burnt board and it is the same issue.
To summarize I have tried the new control board on two separate gear boxes and neither work.
I check and double checked my connections. I have also tested the output leads on the new control board and I get nothing on the meter.
I have tried 2 foot pedals and two remotes now. All four devices get the same result. Thrust but no directional.
I find it hard to believe that the new board is bad, AND that both gear boxes are bad.
I am missing something here.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

This is really a good one here. Test the steering boxes directly. Locate the black and the white leads going to the control board from the steering motors. Hook a battery or a jump box to the leads. Polarity does not matter, ass this is a reversing motor. If the motor steers, there is an input issue and we will need to dig further, if it does not, the steering box is the issue.

Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested both gear boxes and they both steer.
I removed the ipilot and plugged in the original auto pilot and still the same.
I tested the leads coming out of the board to the steering box and I get nothing when I push right or left.
This is so puzzling. two motors with exactly the same issue one with a new board and one with an old one.
Could it be a ground issue. I have not opened the armature to see if it is wet. The only common part in both motors is the shaft and armature.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The armature has nothing to do with the steering?

Disconnect all of the auto and I Pilot items. Hook the steering box directly to the control board. Then see if it will steer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is disconnected except the foot pedal. It will not steer.
I tried 2 foot pedals. Neither one worked. Both got thrust but did not steer.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Did you try it with the auto pilot removed as well. Just want the control board, steering motor and the main motor attached to the control board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is disconnected including the i pilot. Nothing is connect but the foot pedal. No turning. just thrust.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The black and he white that go to the steering are connected correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

do you have the Co-pilot as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do but that has been disconnected also.
Please see my previous comment.
EVERYTHING is disconnected and I still get the same result
I am not a rookie. I reached out for some insight on a very p[puzzling issue.
I have rebuilt many of these motors. Something strange is happening here
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

I actually had a question just like this last night at the same time as yours. We found that the Co polit boatd was shorted and this was taking out the control boards. This customer has gone through 2 new boards already.