Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1996 Sea Rayder F-16 jet boat. It's time to

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Sea Rayder F-16 jet boat. It's time to winterize it unfortunately. I don't think it is as involved as a regular inboard or outboard, but I'll let you tell me that. What are the steps? Thank you
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
120hp merc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I wait a little bit before winterizing and we get a light freeze (mid-20's overnight) do I have a risk?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

No worries on freeze damage. The only thing to do for winterize on this engine is to prep the fuel system. The cooling system drains on this motor. To prep the fuel system run fuel tank as low as possible. Then add fuel stabilizer to the fuel if you use fuel with ethanol use a stabilizer for this type fuel. One you have the fuel stabilized get some storage fogging oil follow instructions on the can. Run the engine for a few minutes to get the stabilized fuel into the engine fuel system. Then remove the air box cover to the carburetors spray fogging oil into the throat of the carbs with engine running at about 1000 rpms. Run till engine starts to smoke allot. Shut engine off disconnect the battery . You now have a winterized engine.

Post back with questions on any of these steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tan - anything needed on impeller system? or other parts of boat (lubing, etc.)? or other parts of engine? I saw the following response to this question on on-line forum "Re: Winterize Sea-rayder F16; yep, engine is self draining. fog it, change the stator and pump oil, and you should be good to go."what does changing stator and pump oil mean? only oil I am aware of is the 2 cycle oil reservoir that's used for oil injection. Thank you.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

No the impeller is the jet drive impeller. So nothing to do there. The stator and pump oil is the jet drive. Those should be done when you service the engine.

Have you had the jet drive serviced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no - just got boat a couple months ago and had it out 2 or 3 times. prior owner used to get boat professionally serviced.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok the jet pump should be serviced once a year or every 100 hours of use. Do you know how many hours are on the engine since it was serviced. I would hate to see you go through the aggravation of changing the lube and it is new lube with not many hours. Can you contact the previous owner and see how old the lube is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stator was changed 3-4 yrs ago, probably safe to bet no service since.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the lube need to be done now as part of winterizing or can it be done in spring? I'm most concerned with freeze issues I guess.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

I would go ahead and change the lube. If there is a leak in the jet drive and you have water in the lube it can freeze and damage the jet. So you do it now then also you don't have to wait in the spring for a service department to get it changed. All you have to do when the boating season rolls around is put fuel in the tank and go boating. No waiting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I'm dragging this out for which I'll take care of you but what is process for replacing lube and with what? Is it an oil, or grease? what brand, etc. thanks. This should be last follow up.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The jet uses Quicksilver High Performance gear lube.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/mercury-marine--quicksilver-high-performance-gear-lube--P006_186_001_506

I am trying to find the location on the drain plugs I know one # ***** is in the bottom of the pump for draining. Just can't seem to find the vent. If I remeber correctly both are in the bottom of the jet drive. One is vent the other is drain. You remove both screws. Then fill at the drain till lube runs out the vent.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Jet/95XR%20%28JET%20DRIVE%29%201996/0E145580%20THRU%200E151579/DRIVE%20HOUSING%20COMPONENTS/parts.html