Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

After a rain storm I went to my 15" wahler with a 50 HP Pro

Customer Question

After a rain storm I went to my 15" wahler with a 50 HP Pro Yamaha and hooked up my blidge pump to get water out of my boat.Pump worked great but engine would not tilt (slight sound) and engine would not turn over.Tried to jump battery (2 mo old) and no response.
Took boat out of water and tried to locate loose wire,took apart throttle control and checked whatever and found nothing.
Tried to jump directly from my car going to reminals and battery wires and noyhing.
Bildge also does not respond?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

First thing is to make absolutely sure the battery is good. A bad battery will not take a charge and will not pass voltage through to start the engine. The fact the bilge pump also isn't now working points to a bad battery.

Make sure all connections are good, tight and clean.

If the battery checks out then remove the engine cover and locate the inline 20 amp fuse, check this fuse and make sure it is good.

Post back what you find and we'll go from there.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked battery several times ,including trying ti jump ,charged overnight and jump from my car ,which also bypassed to terminal by going direct to wires and no response.
Located one fuse tucked in on right side of engine looking forward and was fine.That is the only fuse I could find on the engine.
Again everything seems to be dead including tilt,eng and bildge.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

The tilt and engine starting run off the large battery cables from the engine. The bilge is on a separate circuit, not connected to the engine. At least it shouldn't be.

You need to do a load test on the battery. Any auto parts store can do this for free for you. When you reconnect the battery make sure the connections are tight and on shiny metal of the battery and the terminals on the cables.

I still suspect you have a shorted battery, it is the only component common to both the bilge pump and engine.

Check the connector from the engine wiring harness to the boats harness.

Do you have a meter or a 12 volt test light? Check for voltage on the start solenoid where the battery cable connects.

Check the battery voltage. What are the two readings?

Check the ground cable on the engine is clean and tight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it was corroded cable hidden under covering
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Ah so common.

Please be sure to rate my service, thanks.