Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 140 hp 2005 fuel injected engine that starts and

Customer Question

I have a 140 hp 2005 johnson fuel injected engine that starts and runs about 4-5 seconds then quits and I have to pump the ball again and it will start again for a few seconds. Do you have any idea what the problem might be? I think it might be a fuel pump but is the fuel pump on this engine electrical or mechanical?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have the model number on the engine handy?

Will it stay running if you pump that bulb over and over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I do not have the model number handy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will not stay running when I pump the bulb
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to pump the bulb and actually feel fuel flow through it when the engine is running? Is it literally running for just 4 or 5 seconds and then stalling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesnt run long enough to get back to the bulb to feel it (I tried it yesterday) and the time is about 4-5 seconds. if I pump the bulb 6-7 times then try to start it the engine has to turn over a few times before it starts (seems like it floods it a little bit)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

When did the problem start, when did it last run correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havnt had the boat out for a couple of years and the last time i had it out it ran fine. It is stored in a heated garage in Wyoming...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

So its been sitting years.....

How old is the fuel, all of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel was new a couple of years ago and no new fuel has been added. it smells strong and had Stabiler added to it when stored. and it has been setting for a couple of years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Smelling strong means that It doesnt smell like old gas
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Gas goes bad after 90 days. Stablized 6 months. At years old there is no question it's bad.

Was this engine set up properly for long term storage, or was it left to sit?

Do you have the Johnson system tach tachometer on the boat with a check engine light, and if yes, is the check engine light flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does not have a flashing check engine light. I dont have the Johnson System tach Tachometer. The engine was fogged and fuel stablized adn left to set.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Chances are there is more than 1 thing wrong with the engine. I would start by hooking it up to fresh gas, and then getting it running and keeping it running on starting fluid. Running it on starting fluid will help purge out any old fuel that is still left the vapor tank and fuel rails. Is that something you think you can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is something i can do and will let you know if it works.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know how you make out.

-Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If it does end up working out, please do not forget to come back and rate my service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Jason,
We put a portable tank with new gas on the boat and flushed the lines as good as we could with the pump bulb. We then started the engine using starting fluid and ran the engine a couple of times using the starting fluid to keep it running. Total run time was 2-3 minutes using starting fluid. As soon as we stopped using the starting fluid the engine quit. It is still doing the same thing with new gas...we pump up the bulb and it will start and run for 3-4 seconds and then die. The Model of the engine is J140PX4SO and the Serial number is ***** Can you tell me if you have any other ideas. I still think the problem is a fuel pump like I asked in my first question. Is the pump a mechanical or electrical fuel pump on this engine. I will be away from the computer most of the day so will not be able to do additional trouble shooting till tonight.
Thanks,
Ivan