Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a '92 two stroke model #E225TXENR. I know how to

Customer Question

I have a '92 two stroke Johnson model #E225TXENR. I know how to flush the motor with muffs, but I am concerned because after I remove the muffs I noticed that the gear case is hot to the touch (not burning hot). I suppose that is normal, but I don't seem to locate the pilot/piss hole to make sure water is running through. So, two related questions and two unrelated:
1. Where is the pilot hole on my motor.
2. Is it normal for the gear case to feel hot to the touch after a flushing.
3. I don't seem to have a temperature gauge but an alarm went off the other day and I was able to turn it off by turning on the exhaust. I gather there must also be an alarm for overheating but how do I find out.
4. Unrelated: What are the five or more things I should check/replace as normal maintenance every year; every two years.
5. My '87 I just bought (totally refurbished including new wiring, instrument panel, etc. came with an Anderson bracket. Why is that useful, or not.
6. Is it okay to leave one of the two new batteries on for the bilge pump.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Do you know any of the maintenance history of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the description rom the previews owner. Bought the boat in September 2015:
Compression 95-100 which is the spec for those engines.
New fly wheel because one of the magnets came loose and messed up the power pack which also had to be replaced. Water pump also replaced same time. All two years ago.
Carbs were serviced with new carb kits.
Garmin mounts on the dashboard.
80 gallon aluminum fuel tank newly replaced.
New instrument cluster.
Complete new wiring harness; and two new batteries last month.
New top cover, and new full canvas and new clear plastic windshield and sides.
Interior and upholstery and seat professionally redone.
Newly replaced VHF radio and $900 GPS Programmable Garmin with depth and sonar.
Water resistant AM+FM and CD player and water proof speakers.
Trailer in good condition; wheel bearings and seals have been replaced recently.
Has electric start and electric choke for cold starts. The electric choke works by pushing down the ignition key.
You do need to pump gas line bulb which is found in center compartment. Need to pump 3-4 times until it gets hard. Bulb must be in vertical position with arrow pointing up.
Fuel filter is located beneath the bulb, and it has not been replaced recently.
There is no oil injection; Ed had it removed. It caused lots of problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional question: No oil injection means I have to meet gas/oil on 50/1 mix. IS THAT RIGHT.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Alright, let me try and get through these one at a time. This is going to be a bunch of info.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

When you had the engine running, did you see any water coming from the center of the prop?

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The water check port will be on the lower pans. Normally on right side rear. You should have also been getting water from the center of the prop. Gear case should have been warm, but not hot.

I am not sure what you mean you got the alarm to stop by turning on an exhaust? If you had an alarm, it was for overheat, since the oil injection is removed. You do need to replace the impeller.

For maintaining the engine, You should do spark plugs, water pump and gear oil every year. Along with greasing the engine and the control cables.

I would need a pic of the bracket to see what it is.

Your bilge pump should be wired that the float is always hot, you should be able to turn the batteries off, then test the float manually, see if the pump turns on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHEN YOU SAY WATER CHECK PORT, ARE YOU REFERING TO WHAT IS CALLED THE PILOT OR PISS HOLE OR TELL TALE; ARE ALL THESE TERMS REFERRING TO THE SAME THING.WHEN YOU REFER TO THE "LOWER PANS" EXACTLY WHAT ARE THOSE SAY WITH REPECT TO PROP.I WILL REPLACE THE IMPELLER BUT WHEN THE ALARM WENT OFF AND THE ENGINE STALLED, I DID NOT WHAT TO DO SO I JUST TURNED ON THE BLOWER (I CALLED IT EXHAUST ABOVE BY MISTAKE) AND AFTER A FEW SECONDS I WAS ABLE TO START THE ENGINE. IT HAS NOT HAPPENED AGAIN AFTER ANOTHER SIX HOURS OF BOATING. IS IT POSSBLE THAT THE ALARM WENT OFF BECAUSE OF FUMES OR IS THE ALARM ONLY FOR OVERHEATING.
I'LL SEND YOU A PICTURE TOMORROW MORNING OF THE ANDERSON BRACKET TO WHICH THE MOTOR IS MOUNTED RATHER THAN TO THE STERN OF THE BOAT. If YOU GOOGLE "ANDERSON BRACKET" YOU'LL SEE WHAT IT ISAND BEAR WITH ME, I'LL PAY A BONUS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IF THE GEAR CASE IS MORE THAN JUST WARM, WHAT DOES THAT INDICATE.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Yes, water check is the tale tell.

The lower pans are shown here.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1992/E225TXENR/LOWER%20ENGINE%20COVER/parts.html

Your engine should not have a blower, since it is an outboard engine.

Is the bracket a jack plate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's see...
1. I attach a picture of the Anderson bracket.
2. I cannot tell from the diagram you sent the location of the lower pan. The boat is on a boat lift. Where is the water check port. Look at the attachment and please describe where the lower pan is.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

I take it that the bracket there is the Anderson bracket. That is used to give the motor some set back. This puts in cleaner water to get a better bite. It also will provide the boat slightly more lift.

Your tell-tale is actually located in the center of the engine on the rear. There is a black rubber grommet there and it has a movable nozzle in it. hat is where the water should come from.

The lower pans are just below the black grommet for the upper cowl.