Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have an 86 2 cycle 40 hp ob. It will not crank. I have

Customer Question

Hi James
I have an 86 Johnson 2 cycle 40 hp ob. It will not crank. I have jump cranked it by putting 12 v to the relay and all was good. There is a small cylindrical part on the right side of the motor that the starter button goes to and it clicks with each push of the starter button but nothing reaches the starter relay. That part has a red lever on it like some sort of bypass but that doesn't help when changed. What is that part? Any other suggestions? starter & relay good as is the starter button (apparently).
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

This part with the red lever, do you see 2 small rubber hoses on it?

Also, when you say you put 12V to the relay, what did you do there? Did you jump the large terminals with a screwdriver or something to that effect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm Cal
I see no hoses to that part. I put twelve volts to the small terminal that isn't a ground, it then cranked. Do you want me to text you a picture of that part? That one part in question clicks regardless of the position of the shift selector. Last time running & cranking were no problem.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cal. What ON the small terminal that isn't ground, is there a yellow/red wire attached to that terminal?