Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2002 150 ficht when i hold the key in start

Customer Question

hi i have a 2002 150 ficht when i hold the key in start position engine turns over for 2 seconds and then stops. If i continue holding the key in this position it will start to crank over again in about 2 seconds. It just continues this cycle over and over and will not fire up. Thank in advance for your help.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

In order to locate the component that is not function correctly you will need a digital multimeter and an assistant.

Have your helper be in the boat at the helm with the key in the switch. Starting at the battery, you will need to test the voltage with the key off and with the engine cranking. If it falls below 9.5V DC and then recovers quickly, it is either a weak or a bad battery. It is stays above 10, move to the starter solenoid and do the same test. If it now falls below 9.5V DC, it is the battery cables that need replaced. If it is good there, move to the other side of the solenoid, and repeat the same testing. If the voltage falls off there, the solenoid is bad. If not it is the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I load tested the battery 1000 cca. Load test the starter with a clamp on amp meter peek was 311 amps. Load test the battery lead was 327 peek amps. I gather the difference in readings was the current to the EMM. The problem is it cranks for 3 seconds stops for 3 seconds over and over again. Also not getting any volt reading at the electric fuel pump.
Cheers Terry
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Could you lease do thee in volts?