Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 1988 28hp SPL motor won't start. I've replaced the spark

Customer Question

My 1988 Johnson 28hp SPL motor won't start. I've replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug wires with no success. Today I found out there is no spark from the wires.
Do you have any suggestions....
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

These engines come configured a few different ways. Is your tiller control, or remote control? Is it push button start on the engine, rope start, or electric start via a keyswitch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! This is John, owner of the boat. It is electric start via a key switch. I am not getting any spark to the plugs and I have replaced the wires....
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi John. Lets start with 1 test. On the engine locate the big round plug where the extension harness meets the engine harness and disconnect it. Then, go over to the starter solenoid and jump power to the yellow/red wire. This will crank the engine over. Let me know if spark returns when the harness is disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, thank you so much for your prompt answers. For the first time in several weeks I feel positive about getting this problem fixed. I'm sorry but I won't be able to do this test until Friday. What do I do after I disconnect the big round plug?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

There are 5 potential things that could be wrong here. Bad key switch, bad kill switch, bad extension harness, bad powerpack or bad stator.

Disconnecting the round plug will separate the stator and powerpack from the rest of it. If spark comes back when disconnecting, the problem is a bad keyswitch, kill switch, or harness.

If there is still no spark, either the powerpack or stator is bad. The powerpack is not testable but the stator is. Disconnect the stator from the powerpack and measure the resistance between the brown to brown/yellow wire. It should read 450 to 550 ohms. If not, replace the stator. If yes, replace the powerpack.

Does that all make sense?

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed no rating has been put through. The website has charged you but they will not credit me for helping you out until that rating is complete. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,
Jason