Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Is there a way to increase HP on a T60 Yamaha? I understand

Customer Question

Is there a way to increase HP on a T60 Yamaha? I understand the T70 is basically the same motor
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Would you please post the full model number of the engine. I will give it a look.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
T60TLR 6C6 L(###) ###-####K year 2005
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

To make this swap work, you would need the ECU from a 70. Possibly the throttle body as well. They are different parts numbers and the u70 may be larger than the 60.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about a Dyno-Boost performance chip?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Looking at the reviews of them, it may be worth the cost. I personally have never used or installed one. That is much less costly that going with the ECU for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I go the ECU change is it plug and play? If I also change the throttle body will it fit in the cowling? The 70 cowling seems to be larger. What will be the result if I change the ECU only? I understand it raises the top rpm. Does it change the fuel scheduling all through the range?
Do you know which part # ***** I would need?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The 70 would increase the fuel mapping through out the entire RPM range. It would also increase the max RPM of the engine, but to truly see that you would also need to change the props.

This is the part number for the ECU 6CJ-8591A-00-00.

The throttle body is 6CJ-13750-00-00.

It still should fit under the cowl, as the throttle body is located behind the electrical plate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it increase hp through the intire range or is the added hp only due to higher rpm at top?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

It would be through the entire range. That is due to the extra fuel being added.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the T70 ECU work properly with the T60 Throttle body except maybe the higher rpm's? Do I gain enough to be worth the expense? Wouldn't this method of change be similar to the Dyno-Boost?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The ECU is listed at close to $600 and for only 10 HP you would only get a few MPH more than you do right now. The better bargain may to be go with the chip and boost the fuel that way. The ECU would work with the 60 throttle body, but you may not gain all 10 HP due to restricted air flow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I think that answers my questions.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

You are quite welcome. Please select a rating for the service from me.

Thanks

Charles