Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a early 70's 110 HP 6 cyl outboard mercury

Customer Question

I have a early 70's 110 HP 6 cyl outboard mercury thunderbolt. The distributor went out. I I replaced it but didn't make note of where arrow on plate above timing belt was pointing & where flywheel was located in reference to tdc mark or line in up ist to TDC. I am guessing I should bring #1 piston up position rotor to point at #1 cap contact put on cap & timing belt & then put on flywheel with metal pointer as close as possible pointing at tdc mark or 0. Magnetics make it tricky to me to be 100% perfect but I will try. Is this the correct procedure now that I didn't make notes on locations to begin with.?? Help Please
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'd be glad to help. However I'm not at the shop right now, be glad to get the procedure in the morning.

Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

There should be a straight line timing mark on the flywheel. Line this mark up so the center of the distributor, the timing mark and the center of the crankshaft are all in line. Now turn the distributor pulley until the arrow on the pulley is pointing at the mark on the flywheel. Install the belt.