Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have a new boat, delivered to me with significant

Customer Question

have a new boat, delivered to me with significant manufacturing debris in the bilge. The debris busted the bilge pump and the boat had a lot of H20 in it. Took it back to dealer and they think they have everything corrected except oil pressure reading is too low. what else should I worry about before they return the boat?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am is speaking with?

Can you be more specific as to the boat, the engine in the boat, and what the oil pressure is reading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2015 supra SG 400, indymar 400 and 10 psi reading
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Any debris in the bilge would not effect the actual oil pressure. The pressure reading of 10 psi, was that read off of the boats gauge? Or did a mechanic plumb in a mechanical gauge into the engine and take the pressure reading directly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gauge. wondering if the water not being pumped out jacked with the wiring for the gauge
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

When you say gauge again is that the boats electrical gauge? Or a mechanical gauge plumbed into the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. What the mechanic need to is plumb a mechanical gauge into the engine and check pressure manually. Since it's a new boat chances are it's fine and the most likely scenario is there is a little bit of corrosion on the wire that connects to the oil pressure sending unit that feeds the gauge. But when you go to the shop you do want to insist on a mechanical reading. If the pressure is actually low on a mechanical gauge then there is a big engine problem, and the engine would either need to come out and be opened up at the dealer level. Or, Supra should send out a new replacement engine. Other than that, you said water got in. Any idea how high it got in the boat? Did it cover the bottom part of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not know, but there were performance issues (trouble getting to cruise control speed, then losing all throttle) Once throttle was lost, I shut down and called for a tow. Dealer picked it up the next day, put it in water and it started right up. He still took it in given its brand new and it had performance issues. Called me and told me the bilge pump failed from manufacturing debris. They are owning it as their problem, just want a second opinion on what else I should worry about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but basically need to ask if they manually plumbed in a gauge or if relying on the electrical gauge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my assumption is the water got to the engine.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

1 last question. When this happened, was it freshwater or saltwater? (I assume fresh as you don't see to many Supra's around in salt, but figured I would ask)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fresh
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

On that, water can not actually get into the engine unless the level is high enough that it covers the top of the engines intake manifold. When boats have this much water in them they are more or less half sunk at this point. So unless that happened then water did not get into the engine. However, water can cause a little bit of corrosion. And corrosion can cause problems. The problem with corrosion is it does not always show up right away. For example, you can throw a bucket of nails outside and have it go through a few rain storms. They won't start to rust immediately, but after a months or so they will start to rust. Same idea with the boat. The common areas to keep an eye on are the accessory pulleys up front, where belt is. The starter motor. Alternator. On performance issues if the level of water got over the fuel tank and water got into the tank that could cause it. But either way, the boat and engine needs to be 110% when they give it back to you. So whatever it takes to make it right they have to take care of. Does that make sense? If yes, do you have any further questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay great.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason