Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My 175 sport jet does not want to start. It takes a lot of

Customer Question

My 175 sport jet does not want to start. It takes a lot of cranking, starts and then dies. Finally it will start. Sometimes fires right away but normally does not. New plugs, wired etc. Batteries are good, stator is working, new solenoids. Put in a priming
bulb and does not help. Use premium fuel
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

How are you trying to start the engine? Can you describe for me what you are doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am simply turning a key and choking it half the time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently this is a common problem among sport jets!!! I know of at least three that have the same problem! I have done my research and cannot get a proper answer and have been asked a lot of silly questions.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the back pressure on a jet boat does make it harder to start. For some reason even when on the hose. Before turning the key to start, make sure that you have had the enrichener active for 3-5 seconds by pushing in on the key. The while still holding the key in, turn it to start. This should help some.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I have been doing . Is there'd something wrong with carbs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did start well for awhile and others also still start well. It has no problem turning over, just actually firing and running
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Check to make sure that your solenoid is actually working. When you turn the key on and push it in, you should hear it click.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My solenoid seems to be working. Is it possible that it works intermittently? Being an electric part, I think that it either works or not.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

ok Remove the fuel line that is going to the carbs and make sure that fuel does come out of it when you push the key. You should get some from it. It may be clicking but not opening, or clogged if the boat sits allot of the time. The carbs could also have an issue in them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the fuel pumps? I heard that they can be defective in the early model sport jets?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Your pulse pump can be rebuilt, The kit const about $25 and is easy to install. The kit comes with good instructions. The part number for it is 857005A 1.