Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Just reading about stern drive leakage at this time. May

Customer Question

Just reading about stern drive leakage at this time. May need you later in the read. Thanks. John
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello John. My name is Tan.

Let me know what drive you have and the problems you are having and we can get you fixed.

Is it leaking gear oil out water in the lube or both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, The oil has leaked into the sump under the engine. The drive gear reservoir is empty. No water involved.
he unit involved is 463478. There is also a number before that ( 1:84 )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mercruiser Alpha One 43 LX
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok what you have is the hose coming from the gear lube monitor has come off the fitting at the transom or the hose is cut or broken.

Follow the hose from the lube monitor bottle to the transom. The most likely situation you have is the fitting has come loose at the transom connection.

Let me get you a diagram of the location of the fitting.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The lube monitor connect in this pic is just under the water hose connection B # ***** at the transom. Most fittings are a push quick connection.

https://www.perfprotech.com/store/app_themes/ppt/images/alpha-transom-details(2)-600.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looked at that-followed line from reservoir to fitting and all seems tight and dry. Will look again in the AM and will call you. Thanks, John
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok John. Lube in the bilge can only be from 2 things a lube line off or a yoke seal on the u-joint assembly. What happens is the yoke seal fails then the gear lube leaks into the u-joint bellows the weeps the fluid into the bilge from the hole in the transom plate above the drive shaft.

In this case you would need to remove the drive and inspect the yoke seal or pressure test the drive to locate the leak. The yoke seal and the hiose from the monitor are the only way to get gear lube in the bilge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, I did not look at anything today due to severe t-storms and rain. Will check all tomorrow. Probably will owe you more money----won't be a problem. Talk to you later, John
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok John no problem I will be around.