Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I would like to replace a salon window in 49' GB motor

Customer Question

Hi I would like to replace a salon window in 49' GB motor yacht. If it's possible would like to purchase repair manual . I have been quoted over 5k I find that rediculas. I also have other repairs I want to do . My back ground is general contractor.thanks Dan
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I am just seeing if you still need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see that your question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if you still needed help.

In some cases a question may sit due to several different reasons. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need help that I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you.

At this time please feel free when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working with me, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me know exactly what you wish to do.

Thanks,
Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Joe
Yes I would like your advise. But I would prefer using e mail. I had cancer on my vocal cords and can no longer speak well especially on the phone.
Thanks Dan
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

I can respond this way or via email, either or.

When you were quoted for the window was that a new replacement or a new replacement that was going to be custom made?

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

You will see an additional offer, this is only if you wish to use it otherwise you can ignore it, it will give you direct access to email me directly with any future questions you may have. This is a separate offer from this question and it's value and again is only if you wish to choose that offer.

Thanks again,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joe
I am not sure but either way 5k plus is just out of line. I am sure if I strip the trim I will find plugs covering fasteners . Then behind that either wood or some type of hardware holding the window in place. I just want to save time with the advice of someone who has previous experience.
Thanks Dan
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Correct, there will be screws and sealant to remove, and then you will have spacer shims, these can be of just about anything from wood to electrical cord to composites, if it is a slider then once you remove the shims you can slide the track and replace. Note, depending on which salon window could be why they quoted $5k, this glass is very expensive then again you have to also consider the value of your vessel +/- a neighborhood of somewhere around $200k so when you consider only $5k for replacement it is relative to the vessel. The glass alone may be $2-$3k+ or higher. Tempered glass is very expensive and then if there are any curves to the glass it jumps in price quickly as well.

These grand banks are beautiful vessels and repairs on them just like any older expensive quality vessel can become expensive as I am sure you are aware already.

There is no service manual that is going to show this repair that I know of.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Joe
I do not have to replace the glass it's in good shape. I just have a leak in the frame . If I can get the glass out and either replace or repair the wood should solve the problem. There is no glass replacement required.
Thanks Dan