Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

Fuel is not getting past the injector pump on our yanmar

Customer Question

Fuel is not getting past the injector pump on our yanmar 1GM10. Any fix or just replace?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.

Super common problem with the GM series. The injector pump is no problem 90% of the time. Remove the injector line from the injection pump to the injector. Release the compression lever so the engine turns over easily. Slacken the diesel bleed screw on the side of the injection pump and turn the engine over till clear fuel comes out the side of the injection pump bleed screw. Tighten the bleed screw and let the engine turn over till clear fuel comes out the injection line port (where the injection line attaches). Connect up the injection line and tighten it on the bottom near the injection pump and leave it loose on the top near the injector. Turn the engine over till clear fuel comes out near the injector. Tighten the injection line and release the compression lever. She should start.

Alternatively, the back yard method is to remove the air filter and use a can of WD40 (nothing else. Not starting fluid, not CRC) and turn the engine over trying to start. Blow a little WD40 into the air intake direclty into the engine air inlet and the engine should start and run for a few seconds. Soon as the engine begins to die give another little squirt. Do this for a minute or two and the running will often make the injection pump clear and the engine will take off on its own and the air pocket will be cleared.

So two methods. The dealer will use the top method. Racers heading for the dock and in a big hurry will often use the bottom.

Let me know how it goes.

Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I can't wait to try tomorrow afternoon after work. I will let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.

great. Let me know how it goes.

Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WD40 worked. Running it now at the dock. Thank you for the clear instructions.
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I think now you are supposed to click the accept button or somehow finish off the question on your end to close out and rate us.

Thanks again and glad its all working. Let us know if we can help further.

Scott