Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 1989 bayliner with 5.8l omc cobra. repaced

Customer Question

i have a 1989 bayliner with 5.8l omc cobra. repaced points,cap rotor plugs and wires. engine runs great until after setting timing with a light and tightening down the distributor it runs rough. If you push down on the distributor while running the engine dies.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Pushing down on the distributor should have zero effect as there is nothing to change, this makes me feel that either wiring is loose/chaffed/shorting during that time, cap is cheap/problem with dist or cap causing flex when pressing down and loss of spark, or the distributor is bad and needs to be replaced.

I am just seeing if you still need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see that your question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if you still needed help.

In some cases a question may sit due to several different reasons. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need help that I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you.

At this time please feel free when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working with me, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me know exactly what you wish to do.

Thanks,
Joe