Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Hydro lock on a westerbeake 21 how do I get the water out? I

Customer Question

hydro lock on a westerbeake 21 how do I get the water out? I was told I have to tweak the valve adjustment to open the valve and turn the engine by hand.
removing the glow plug didn't release the compression.
Im told removing the injectors also wont allow the compression release or the draining of the water
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Tan.

The best way to get water out of the cylinders is to remove the injectors. This way you don't mess up any adjustments or valves.

Who ever you are getting your info from don't listen to them.

With the injector removed it is opening the cylinder right up. This would be the same as removing a spark plug from a gasoline engine. This relieves any pressure in the cylinder and allows the water to be blown right out of the cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the westerbeake have a "manifold chamber" above the valves? I was told the injectors are not inserted directly into the cylinders on the westerbeake 21 and that removing the injector won't release the compression or the water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
removing
the glow plugs didn't release the compression.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The injector goes directly into the top of the cylinder head into the combustion chamber. If it went into the manifold the fuel would go into all cylinders. It has to go directly into the combustion chamber.

The large manifold is the exhaust manifold.

Here is the intake manifold # ***** if the injector were in the intake how would you control fuel to each cylinder? http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=32139-230-231&model=W 13/18/21/27/33 4.4/6/7.7/8/11/12.5 KW Generators&manufacturer=Westerbeke&title=13-18-21-27-33 Intake Manifold and Silencer&quant_position=&catalog=32139&printparts=&printservice=&printoperators=&comment1=

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an intake manifold? The Glow plug doesn't seem to insert into the top of the cylinders. can you show me a drawing of where the injectors and glow plugs end up? Thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Yes I posted it in the last reply. # ***** is the intake. http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=32139-230-231&model=W%2013/18/21/27/33%204.4/6/7.7/8/11/12.5%20KW%20Generators&manufacturer=Westerbeke&title=13-18-21-27-33%20Intake%20Manifold%20and%20Silencer&quant_position=&catalog=32139&printparts=&printservice=&printoperators=&comment1=

I'm not sure on the location of the glow plugs but many times they go into the intake to warm the air going into the cylinders.

Diagram of head coming up.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The areas circled in red are where the injectors go in the head.