Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

1994 maxum speedometer does not work. hose is not blocked;

Customer Question

1994 maxum speedometer does not work. hose is not blocked; air compressor blows hose goes through the engine compartment
but cannot find the connection
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we used an air compressor from the MPH gauge and when we blew into the line we could hear the air in the engine compartment and located the line but we do not know where the line runs to.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

The line is one continuous line from the gauge to the pickup. The pickup should be located in the leading edge of the lower unit of the drive. A very small hole just above the bullet.

Tilt the drive up and locate the small black hose. There should be a connector a few inches above the mating surface of the lower unit, in the front. You can disconnect there.

It is very common for the opening in the lower unit to become blocked with debris.

Some installations also had a second connection next to the transom. If you hear a lot of air using the compressor then you may have blown the hose off the connector. All depends how your exact boat was built.

Run a thin wire into the lower unit opening see if that works.

Be careful to not use more than 10# ***** of air if blowing back towards the gauge. It takes very little air to damage it.

Check this out and post back what you find.

Thanks