Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I bought a boat which has a 150 horse black max outboard

Customer Question

I bought a boat which has a 150 horse black max outboard motor and I don't have a key for the ignition. Is there a way to change the ignition switch? I TRIED TAKING THE CONTROL APART HOWEVER I GOT THE PLASTIC COVER OFF BUT THE SWITCH IS ENCLOSED INSIDE OF A METAL CASE. I CAN'T GET THE PLASTIC CASE OFF OF THE SIDE OF THE BOAT. I loosened 2 bolts, and can't find any others, but I still can't get the metal case apart.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

If the switch is in the control box then you will need to take the box apart to access the switch and replace it. To assist you with that I would need the model number of the engine and also the control box so that I know which box you are working with. Otherwise all I can provide is yes you can change the switch by taking the control box apart of which you must also usually remove the control arm. A locksmith on site may also be able to just make you a new key for it instead.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.