Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have an evenrude Ocean 200 on a Grady. It has power to the

Customer Question

I have an evenrude Ocean 200 on a Grady White. It has power to the red and the purple wires on the ignition module, it will not fire and plug! I have all 6 plugs out, the motor spins nicely, i have tried all 6 coils and have no fire while cranking.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

To start, you removed a lot of water from the system but no way to remove all without a complete system drain or fuel conditioning and thus one of those will need to be done.... most likely fuel is old so you may be better just draining and cleaning the entire system. You say fire at the plug, make sure you are using an spark tester and if no spark/light then you will want to check at the coil. Check oil level and temp sensor.

I am just seeing if you still need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see that your question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if you still needed help.

In some cases a question may sit due to several different reasons. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need help that I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you.

At this time please feel free when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working with me, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me know exactly what you wish to do.

Thanks,
Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should still need help, I would appreciate anything you can do to assist me in solving the riddle on this. I have dreamed of the fuel system to where no longer any feel any water came out I have put 4 ounces of isopropyl alcohol in it and there was room for an additional 5 gallons the fuel is only seven months old I don't want to waste it if I don't have to I have verified that I'm getting good fuel to the carburetors with no water I have also verified I do not have spark anywhere none of the six coils are firing and that's with the plug out to the coil all for all six flags out actually in each one individually hooked to the coil with the ground lead from the electrode to the chassis and cranking the motor
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

On the coil are you getting 12v to the pos side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to make sure your the tech I need, you do know your way around these older 2 strokes??

The positive side of the coils is what comes from the cdi module. all of the coils are grounded to the block! I have changed the module and still am getting a no fire condition. I have disconnected the black and yellow kill wires for both banks. Same.... I have disconnected the stater from the rectifier, no joy! I have measured the impedance of the brown/yellow to the brown. I get 99.5 ohms on both banks but I get no dc on either when the engine cranks! I think it should be somewhere in the 170 volt range. So i am definitely on the right track so where do I go from here? If I'm getting good impedance here too! the induction coils are good!?!?! But no voltage???? Crank speed seems normal, don't have any way to measure, but batteries are up and the battery switch shows no loss.

How can I measure the stator to ensure it is the trouble?