Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I am considering the purchase of a 50 Gibson houseboat that

Customer Question

I am considering the purchase of a 50 Gibson houseboat that needs to be re powered. Due to the sandbars in our area I would like to re power with twin 300 hp Yamaha outboards. opinion on props?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

You are looking in the realm where there is little information. That being said you will want a large diameter prop, about a 16 1/8". The pitch will be more difficult, a prop of about 13 to 16" pitch should work. The lower pitch may be better for you. I would also recommend a stainless steel prop to take the torque.

I would have your local dealer call Yamaha and see what they recommend as well.

Hopefully this gives you a good starting place. Let me know if I can help further. Thanks